There are various considerations when selecting a Short Code or Long Code.
Short Codes are available as either shared or dedicated. A Shared Short Code is a number shared with various other organizations where Keywords will likely be restricted as they are already in use. Kerauno prefers using a Dedicated Short Code which allows more flexibility with Keyword selection, and message customization.
- Send a high volumes of SMS messages at once at a low cost.
- Ideal for marketing campaigns as well as alert notifications, mobile coupons, and promotions.
- Useful for sending MMS (messages with media), Poll & Vote content, as well as messages that do not require personalization.
- Recipients may feel messages from a Short Code are generic and impersonal.
- Keyword availability may be limited when using a Shared Short Code.
- A small number of users may have device settings that block inbound messages from short code numbers.
- Effortless personalized two-way conversations.
- Minimal setup time. Most Long Codes can be up and running within a few hours.
- Establish a consistent channel for all forms of customer communication.
- Use the same number to send SMS messages, place calls, and send faxes.
- Sending marketing SMS or MMS messages is strictly prohibited by carriers and will result in a disabled Long Code.
- Throughput rate is limited to 1 message per second; sending thousands of messages would take hours.
- Long Codes are harder to remember, enter into a phone, and not as convenient.
- Setup and monthly cost may be cheaper, but individual message fees are higher than Short Code messages.
- Messages are not free to recipients and can consume their data plan.